- Does your neck look older than the rest of your face?
- Do you experience sagging skin and jowls on your neck?
- Are you covering up your neck with scarves and high neck tops?
Maybe a neck lift might be the right procedure for you. There are neck lifts that can enhance your neck and help eliminate the signs of ageing. There are many types of neck lift surgeries and neck rejuvenation procedures available. There are also non-surgical options as well, although these offer more temporary results.
Dr Richard Sackelariou is a highly experienced Plastic Surgeon and Neck LIft expert in Sydney and Melbourne.
Some of the common procedures and surgeries to enhance the appearance of your neck include;
- Neck lipo
- Anti Wrinkle Injections like Botox
- Lasers, ultrasound, RF tightening, Micro-needling etc.
Considering facial rejuvenation surgery? Information is just one click away.
Types of Neck Lift and Neck Procedures
1. Cervicoplasty Neck Lift
- A cervicoplasty is a neck lift surgery that focuses on enhancing and defining the neck profile. It is ideal for those who have skin folds over the neck area, and lax skin.
- Skin folds can be a result of natural ageing, extreme weight loss or lack of skin elasticity. This can lead to apparent neckbands.
- The cervicoplasty surgery removes excess skin from the neck area and gives it give a smoother look. It can be done alone or in conjuction with a platysmaplasty which involves the tightening of muscles.
Dr Richard usually performs this type of neck lift under general anaesthesia. Once the patient is asleep he will make a cut in ‘z’ shape. He will remove the excess skin and close the incision.
2. Platysmaplasty Neck Lift
- Commonly referred to as a traditional neck lift, this surgical procedure focuses on improving the definition of the neck from jaw to chin.
- It can give your face an aesthetically pleasing look and youthful contour.
- This procedure is more suited for people in their forties to sixties or those who need more definition in the jaw to chin region.
- It can be done alone or in conjunction with other procedures such as cervicoplasty or neck liposuction.
Dr Sackelariou performs this type of procedure under general anaesthesia. He begins the procedure by administrating the anaesthesia and creating incisions near the ear lobe and loops behind the ear. In some cases, a small incision is also created underneath the chin. He will then proceed to tighten the muscles, remove excess skin and close the incisions to give you a younger-looking neck.
3. Neck Liposuction or Submental Liposuction
- Most people confuse this procedure with an actual neck lift. However, it is important to remember that these two are very different. A surgeon will often perform Liposuction in addition to a neck lift.
- It is ideal for people who have a large double chin and stubborn neck fat and are looking to achieve a slimmer neck and don’t have the problem of skin laxity.
- If you have both loose skin AND rigid fat deposits, your surgeon may suggest a combination of liposuction and surgical neck lift.
- Neck lipo is typically performed under general anesthesia. The procedure begins by inserting a small cannula underneath the chin or in the neck area.
- With the use of gentle suction your surgeon can get rid of fat deposits. Once complete your surgeon might apply a light bandage over top. This procedure results in a smoother, even profile.
4, Injectables Treatments – Botox for your Neck
- If you have wrinkles and fine lines around your neck area and you are looking for a quick fix, without the surgery, Botox can be a great option.
- One thing to remember about Botox is that it is great for removing wrinkles and fine lines but won’t do much for loose skin.
- You will also need to repeat the treatment every few months to maintain the results.
- It is a great starting point but can help extremely loose and lax skin.
- The results of Botox last for approximately three to six months. After that, you’ll need to get it redone to maintain the results.
Other Non-Surgical Treatments
Treatments such as lasers, ultrasound, radiofrequency treatments, micro-needling are also options for eliminating the mild signs of ageing. They can be a good starting point to improve the look of your neck before you commit to a surgical option. It is important to remember that these procedures will NOT give you permanent results. Moreover, they are not as effective as the surgical neck lift.
Which is the Right Type of Neck Lift or Non-Surgical Procedure for Me?
Now that you understand that there is a wide variety of treatments to enhance the appearance of your neck you might be wondering which one will suit you best. Well, the best way to determine that is by visiting a plastic surgeon and getting their expert advice.
The right procedure for you depends on several factors. Whether you have excess skin, fat, or fine lines on your neck will determine the right choice of treatment for you.
- People struggling with loose skin may benefit from a traditional neck lift.
- If the problem is excess rigid fat deposits, you may benefit from liposuction.
- On the other hand, Botox can be a preventative measure as well as helpful for treating fine lines and wrinkles.
- In certain cases, your surgeon may suggest a combination of multiple treatments to achieve the best results.
Your age and overall wellbeing also play an important role in the choice of treatment. Those that suffer from extreme ageing will benefit from a neck lift. However, someone looking to simply eliminate wrinkles and prevent sagging will benefit from Botox.
If you have certain health issues that prohibit you from undergoing the surgery, non-surgical treatment options could be a great alternative for you.
What can a Neck Lift Fix?
Neck lift surgery can fix the following conditions:
- A neck lift removes excess fat and skin from the neck area.
- Remove excess fat deposits on the neck and underneath the chin and jaw area.
- Corrects loose, hanging skin on the neck region.
- Treats muscle banding which leads to abnormal neck contours.
- Corrects rigid fat in the neck area which is often a result of genetics and cannot be corrected with diet and exercise
Benefits of Neck Lift Surgery
Following are the benefits of getting a neck lift surgery:
- It reduces the appearance of loose skin, giving patients a slimmer more defined neck. This can also give the impression of weight loss.
- It also tightens the skin, eliminating wrinkles and fine lines.
- Improve the appearance of their neck dramatically. Unfortunately diet and exercise often have no significant impact on reducing excess skin in the neck area.
- Gives you dramatic results with minimal scarring. The scars are well hidden behind both the ears and in the hairline.
- The neck lift has a fairly short recovery. You don’t have to take months off from work to get the surgery done.
- Can help improve your confidence levels.
- It is a highly customizable procedure and your surgeon can create a blend of treatments to give you the best neck results possible.
- Getting a neck lift can help erase years off your age and give you a younger-looking appearance.
- The neck lift also can help eliminate the appearance of platysmal bands for many years.
- The results of the surgery are instantly visible, unlike other surgeries which require you to wait a long time.
- Neck lift surgery can help contour your chin and jawline.
- It dramatically improves your facial profile and is the only treatment option that eliminates excess skin which creates neck folds on your neck.
FAQS about Types of Neck lift
Following are a few of the frequently asked questions we get regarding neck lift surgery.
What is the best neck tightening procedure?
- The best neck tightening procedure is a neck lift surgery. It gives out the most dramatic results that can last a very long time.
What types of neck lifts are there?
- There are two main kinds of neck lift: Cervicoplasty and Platsmaplasty
What is the best non-surgical neck lift?
- When it comes to non-surgical facelifts, a combination of micro-needling and radiofrequency can yield good results. (NOTE – Dr Sackelariou does not offer this)
What is a micro neck lift?
- A micro lift refers to an endoscopic procedure where incisions are made next to the ears. The endoscope is inserted through the incision which allows the surgeon to make precise changes to the neck area.
How do I fix my saggy neck?
- The only way to fix sagging neck skin is by getting neck lift surgery.
Can Microneedling tighten neck skin?
- Micro-needling can help to tighten the skin. It also promotes collagen production, eliminates fine lines and wrinkles. It is offered by Coco Ruby Skin in Melbourne.
Does neck firming cream work?
- Neck firming creams can help prevent the signs of aging but they do only a little to eliminate the existing fine lines and wrinkles.
What is a lunchtime facelift?
- Lunchtime facelift is another name for a thread lift. It is both a cheaper and less invasive alternative to the traditional facelift. (NOTE – Dr Sackelariou does not offer or recommend a thread lift)
Will Botox help saggy neck?
- Neck Botox can effectively tighten sagging skin around the neck while making subtle changes to the jaw and neck area.
What is the best age for a neck lift?
- There is no right and wrong age for a neck lift. However, most patients who get a neck lift are between the ages of 40 and 60.
How can I tighten my neck skin naturally?
- There is no way to tighten your skin naturally. You will need a bit of cosmetic surgery help to make your neck look younger.
What can go wrong with a neck lift?
- Some of the complications associated with a neck lift are bleeding, infections, scarring and reaction to anesthesia. Dr Sackelariou will explain risks during the consult
What is the best neck tightening cream?
- There are numerous neck tightening creams available in the market. The cream that suits one person might not suit another and vice versa. Hence, it is best to consult a Dermatologist or skin specialist before adding any cream to your routine.
How painful is a neck lift?
- The surgery is performed under anesthesia so you will not feel anything during the procedure.
- Post the surgery, your surgeon will give you pain killers to help manage your discomfort.
How can I make my neck look younger without surgery?
- A great proactive approach is to incorporate a good anti-aging cream for the neck into your skincare routine. You can also do certain exercises to prevent aging.
- Once the wrinkles form and sagging starts to show, the only way to eliminate the signs of aging is by getting neck lift surgery.
Why is my neck aging so fast?
- The skin on our neck is generally thinner than everywhere else on our face and body.
- Therefore it is more prone to damage from pollution, sun damage, and other kinds of environmental damage.
- Over time, skin loses collagen and elasticity which results in wrinkle formulation around the neck area.
Can neck exercises tighten skin?
- Exercise is good for your overall wellbeing and improving muscle tone.
- It can make you look youthful for longer but cannot reverse the existing signs of aging.