Mummy Makeover Surgery
Many women go through childbirth and pregnancy. During this time the body goes through multiple changes. Although these changes are marks of you experiencing the miracle of life, it is normal for women to want to go back to the body they had before the pregnancy.
Depending on the changes you have gone through, you may want to change some aspects of the body to help you get back to your pre-pregnancy body. Cosmetic and plastic surgery is one of the best ways to do so but undergoing multiple procedures may be difficult. But, with advancements in the field of medicine and surgery, there is now a solution, a mummy makeover. A mummy makeover is a set of surgical procedures that can help you get back to your pre-pregnancy body all the while experiencing the joy of being a mum.
What is a Mummy Makeover Procedure?
A mummy makeover procedure is a set of plastic surgeries that consists of different surgical procedures. The focus of these procedures is to improve the natural contours of the body and enhance the physique. The surgical procedures included under this umbrella term are:
- This helps improve the appearance of the breasts.
- Your breast size undergoes significant fluctuations during and after the pregnancy.
- This surgical procedure includes the removal of excess skin from the breast to give the breasts a spry and perky appearance.
- It may also include nipple repositioning, depending on the extent of breast sag.
Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty
- This targets the main problem area; the abdomen.
- Depending on the extent of the procedure, you can also target the flank, hips, and thighs to enhance the natural contour.
- This procedure also includes the removal of excess saggy skin from both the abdominal and hip regions.
- The results are enhanced natural contours of the abdomen with tightened skin and muscles if needed.
- This helps get rid of the stubborn fat that just won’t go away, no matter what you do.
- Focuses on correcting irregularities of the labia, which undergoes significant changes during childbirth.
- This procedure helps reduce the size of the labia minora (the flaps that cover the vaginal opening).
- The labia minora tend to enlarge and stretch during childbirth, which can cause discomfort for many women
A surgeon can combine and perform these procedures simultaneously after your body has recovered from the intensive childbirth process. However, it is never recommended to stay under the effects of anesthesia for long periods of time.
This means that undergoing more than one procedure at the same time may be difficult. Especially if you are undergoing extensive surgery which will require a long period of time. Consultation with your doctor will help you not only decide which procedures are right for you and the safest way to perform them but also how to get the best results without compromising your health.
What are the benefits of the Mummy Makeover Procedure?
The mummy makeover procedures help you bounce back from your post-pregnancy body and give you the confidence boost you deserve. There are many physical, social, and mental benefits of undergoing the mummy procedure.
Physically, the mummy procedure results in the tightening of abdominal skin whilst also repairing abdominal muscles if necessary. It also lifts your breasts to give them a youthful appearance all the while reducing stubborn fat from your body using liposuction.
The physical benefits of the procedure result in increased self-worth and improved self-image, which is bound to increase your confidence and make you feel good, mentally. This newfound confidence along with an improved physique gives you the freedom to dress as you wish without feeling insecure about your looks. Moreover, the procedure helps you improve both your personal and social relationships as you will have more confidence.
What to Expect During the Mummy Makeover Procedure
Your mummy makeover procedure journey begins with a consultation with your plastic surgeon. During this consultation, your surgeon will assess your physical situation and recommend the best surgical choice for you.
The surgeon may recommend either a combination of surgeries or just one surgical procedure. It is also during this step that you can ask your surgeon about any risks and complications of the procedure and explain to your surgeon what are the results you are expecting from the procedure.
On the day of the surgery, you will be put under either using general anesthesia or local anesthesia and intravenous sedation. The decision regarding this will also be made during the consultation period. During the procedure, your surgeon will make incisions that can be easily hidden in the natural contours or the bikini line. After the procedure is complete, your surgeon will suture the incisions. This marks the end of the procedure. You will be sent home the same day, or the next day depending on any complications that may have arisen during the procedure.
Recovery after Mummy Makeover Procedure
Recovery from a mummy makeover takes approximately four to six weeks. This depends on whether or not you are undergoing multiple procedures at the same time. Fortunately, by undergoing multiple procedures at once means you will only undergo one recovery period.
During the recovery period, your body is going to be swollen, you will also have bruising and slight discomfort. Your surgeon will prescribe you pain management medications to overcome the pain and in some cases, antibiotics to prevent an infection.
- You should spend the first week resting, with minimal physical activity and no strenuous activities that can put a strain on your incisions.
- From the second week to the third week onwards, you can perform light exercises keeping in mind not to put pressure on the scars.
- Light activity includes brisk walks and other similar activities.
- From week four to week six, you can begin performing physical activities and get back to your daily life activities, after receiving the green light from your surgeon.
During the entire recovery period, you should refrain from both smoking and drinking. Especially during the period where you are taking pain management medications and antibiotics. Smoking increases the risk of infections which can affect the wound structure and even cause separation of the incisions. This can result in severe scarring that is visible on the body.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
An ideal candidate for a mummy makeover procedure is someone who meets the following criteria:
- Has excess skin after pregnancy either in the abdominal region or breasts resulting in saggy breasts. Or if they suffer from stretched labia minora.
- Find that extra weight and changes in the body (as a result of pregnancy) drastically inconvenience their life
- Want to go back to their pre-pregnancy body
- Understand the risks and complications of the procedure and that the results also depend on proper care taken during the recovery period.
- Are both physically and mentally healthy
- Is undergoing the procedure for themselves and not to fit into a trend or for others
- Are not planning any future pregnancies
- Is at a stable and ideal weight
- Does not smoker
- Has recovered from childbirth or has given birth a minimum of six months before the surgery.
Risks and Complications of Mummy Makeover
Mummy makeover is an umbrella term for other plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures which, like other surgical procedures, have several risks and complications. It is important for you to know and understand them in order to make the right choice.
The common side effects of the procedures included in a mommy makeover include:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Bleeding from the incision
- Hematoma or fluid collection near the incision
- Pus-like discharge at the incision site
- Persistent swelling
- Temporary numbness and loss of sensation
- Persistent pain
- Excess bruising and discoloration
- Wound separation
Will Medicare Fund my Mummy Makeover Procedure?
- Medicare generally funds surgical procedures that are medically necessary. This means that if you do not have the procedure you will have long-term health complications or even death.
- Mummy makeover procedures are a combination of surgical procedures that are mostly cosmetic.
- This means that Medicare is not going to fund the procedure or reimburse you for it.
- However, it is worth noting that while a tummy tuck is not covered by Medicare programs, a panniculectomy procedure is.
- This procedure includes the removal of excess skin from the lower abdominal region due to the potential for irritation of skin and infections.
- This procedure is deemed medically necessary.
- This procedure includes the removal of excess skin from the lower abdominal region due to the potential for irritation of skin and infections.
- Similarly, a labiaplasty may also be medically necessary, if the stretching of the labia is causing you physical pain, discomfort, and itching.
- These often are bound to happen as a result of low hanging labia.
- If you can get a doctor’s note supporting the presence of these symptoms, you are going to be able to get some reimbursement from Medicare for your labiaplasty procedure.
Why Choose Dr Richard Sackelariou?
The first step to chin augmentation surgery or cosmetic injections is to arrange a confidential appointment with Dr Richard Sackelariou in either his Melbourne 1300 264 811 or Sydney 1300 661 362 location.
During this consultation, you’ll be asked about your medical history, prior facial surgeries, and which concerns have led you to seek a surgical solution. There is no obligation to proceed with surgery but you’ll have a far better idea about what’s involved with chin implant procedures.
An expert Plastic Surgeon in Chin Augmentation procedures, via plastic surgery and/or dermal filler volumisers, can give you details not only about the PROS but also the CONS of chin injections vs Medpor chin implants for enhancing your chin proportions.
Dr Richard Sackelariou is a renowned plastic surgeon with over 20 years of experience. He is highly skilled and has worked in England, Paris, and Sydney, learning and improving his techniques as he went along. Dr Sackelariou specialises in face, nose, breast and body surgery for women and men.
Recommendation: Choose a FRACS recognised Specialist Plastic Surgeon who has expertise in your chosen procedure.
Celebrities who underwent the Mummy Makeover
Many celebrities have undergone the mummy makeover procedure after their pregnancies to go back to their pre-pregnancy body. Below are some of the A-listers that have undergone this procedure:
- Queen Naija
- Cardi B
- Ayesha Curry
- Tiny Harris
- Teyana Taylor
- Mimi Faust
- Wendy Williams
- Kelly Rowland
Mummy Makeover FAQs
How long does a mummy makeover take?
Mummy makeover procedure can take anywhere between one to four hours. This depends on the procedures you are choosing to undergo. Surgeons will not recommend you undergo procedures with a longer duration as the risk of complications and side effects due to anesthesia increase significantly.
Do mummy makeovers last?
Generally, mummy makeover results are permanent. However, those results may not last if your weight fluctuates significantly or if you decide to get pregnant again. This is why you need to have a stable weight and not want more children in order to meet the requirements for this procedure.
Is a mummy makeover done all at once?
The procedures may be performed together but due to the fact that longer surgeries have an increased risk of anesthesia-related complications, the procedures may not be performed together if they are estimated to take more than approximately four hours. Depending on how extensive each procedure is, your surgeon will decide whether the procedures can be undergone simultaneously or as standalone procedures.
How long are you sore after a mummy makeover?
Soreness and swelling after the mummy makeover procedure subsides within a week, or even less. You can take over-the-counter medications or pain management medications your surgeon prescribes to help you with the soreness.
What does a tummy tuck scar look like?
A tummy tuck scar is a thin incision. This incision is usually where your lower abdomen meets the pubic region. It is easy to hide the scar with underwear or bikini bottoms.
When is the best time to get a mummy makeover?
You can get a mummy makeover only after a minimum of six months since you gave birth. It is the ideal time as your body has had a chance to heal from the birthing process and can now undergo other surgical procedures.
Will health insurance cover a Mummy makeover?
Generally, a Mummy makeover is not eligible for coverage by health insurance as it is a cosmetic procedure and not a medically necessary procedure. However, you may be able to get reimbursement for some aspects of the surgery, if you can prove that they are medically necessary and are a cause of discomfort for you.
Are Mummy Makeovers worth it?
Mummy makeovers are a great way for you to feel like yourself after giving birth. They have several social, physical, and mental benefits that make the procedure worth it for the patients. Book a consultation today to find out more about the procedure.
Are there any risks?
It is important to understand your risks of surgery are and what you can do to minimise or prevent them. However, it’s important to state that some complications and surgery risks may occur randomly. This can happen despite having chosen the best surgeon, top hospital and best practice procedure and wound care. Despite evidence-based medicine, all surgery carries risks.
Further Medical Reading about Mummy Makeover
Where to Start
Achieving the body image you want is not always as easy as having a procedure, it is often just the part of the journey.
It is also important to ensure you are well aware of what each procedure involves, and whether or not it is the treatment for you.
Do your research, read the website pages and look at the Before and After Photo Gallery. Check and consider the qualifications and experience of your chosen surgeon or doctor.
About Dr Richard Sackelariou Plastic Surgeon
Dr Richard Sackelariou MBBS FRACS(Plas) is a Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Melbourne, Victoria and Sydney, Australia.
Dr Sackelariou is a highly sought-after Plastic Surgeon for precision procedures like nose reshaping, tummy tucks, breast surgery including transaxillary incision methods, implant removal/replacement and Breast Lift procedures.
He is particularly known for his signature surgeries – neck lift, facelift and eyelid rejuvenation procedures. He also performs expert cosmetic injections for facial rejuvenation.
Patients love his caring manner, his dedication to excellence and his extensive expertise in surgical planning for a natural-looking, harmonious result.
Book a Consultation with Dr Sackelariou in Melbourne or Sydney. A caring discussion with a Plastic Surgeon about all your options can really help. The best thing is to start with a phone enquiry and consider having a Consultation with Dr Sackelariou. Try the Free Nose Simulation Tool.