Breast Augmentation Surgery in Melbourne and Sydney
A Breast Augmentation also known as Breast Enlargement Surgery or ‘boob job’ is a cosmetic surgery procedure to enhance your breasts. It aims to increase the size of your breasts to improve your breast volume or breast projection. It can be used to correct slight sagging of the breasts for selected patients. However, you may need a breast lift depending on the degree of sagging (ptosis) and excess skin.
Breast Augmentation increases the size and firmness of your breast area. This procedure can also recreate the breast after mastectomy.
For many women, attractive breasts or cleavage are an important part of their self-image. Larger or more shapely breasts can sometimes increase a person’s confidence or improve their options for swimwear and other clothing.
How is a Breast Augmentation Performed?
Your surgeon places the implant beneath the breast tissues through under-breast incisions or an armpit incision (Transauxillary Incision).
Sizes for Breast Implants: breast implants vary in size according to the wishes and proportions of the patient.
Small implants range from 250cc to over 600cc. Read more about your options for larger breast augmentation surgery – click here.
- The breast implant itself contains a “jacket” and “filler” within the jacket or outer shell
- The Jacket: silicone in its more solid form is used to create the implant’s jacket. This jacket maintains the volume of the filler.
- The Filler: we no longer use the old liquid silicone but high quality, cohesive silicone gel.
- Modern Fillers: a cohesive silicone gel known as “Turkish Delight” due to its consistency.
- Saline is still available but is rarely used.
- Silicone gel largely replaces saline as it is less problematic and far more natural feeling. The implant shape may be round or teardrop.
- Further, round implants may be a better option with fewer risks of rotation and revision surgery. Check with your Surgeon for details on which implant is going to be a good choice for your breast augmentation procedure.
Who Can Benefit from having Breast Augmentation Surgery using Breast Implants?
Naturally Small Breasts
- If you feel your breasts are small, underdeveloped or out of proportion, you may want Breast Augmentation.
- Your breasts may have good tissue elasticity but lack the desired volume, size, shape or projection.
- Breasts can be augmented in size, shape, projection and – to a smaller extent – position; otherwise, you may require a breast lift procedure as well as breast implants.
Naturally Uneven Breasts
- Breast Enlargement is also useful if your breasts are unequal in size; you may feel that your frame is unbalanced, and you may lack confidence in your appearance.
- Breast Augmentation uses implants to increase the size and improve the shape of the breasts.
- Read our page on Breast Asymmetry here
Post-pregnancy Breast Concerns
- Some women also experience volume loss after pregnancy and/or breastfeeding.
- Their breasts may look empty or ptotic (sagging or droopy looking).
- Many women find their breasts have sagged, leading to an unfeminine feeling or a prematurely aged chest area.
- However, you must have finished breastfeeding and child-rearing, ideally, before undertaking a Breast Enlargement or Breast Augmentation with Breast Lift procedures.
Ageing, Sagging Breasts
- The natural ageing process, genetics and weight fluctuations cause sagging of the breast skin and tissue.
- Most patients in this category also benefit from a combination procedure of breast augmentation and breast lift.
- Further for patients who have undergone a mastectomy, losing one or both breasts can be an extremely traumatic experience.
- Breast Augmentation recreates the breast after mastectomy surgery to help patients regain their natural figure and return their feminine feel and confidence.
Get the Breast Augmentation Surgery guide!
Benefits of Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Many patients seek out breast augmentation when they have naturally smaller breasts, to give themselves a more feminine silhouette.
- Further, Breast Augmentation can give patients back their confidence as well as creating a flattering shape for your body.
A Natural Look
- Most patients seek a more natural look to their breast enlargement to avoid the fake look of so many poorly done Breast Enlargements.
- Your surgeon places the implant under the pectoral muscle can help create a more natural shape.
- For many patients, natural asymmetry of their breasts can be frustrating and embarrassing, as well as causing painful back and neck issues.
- Using different breast implant shapes and sizes can help correct this issue and give you back your confidence.
- Whether you have naturally small breasts, naturally asymmetrical breasts, post-pregnancy breast issues, ageing breasts or you have recently had a mastectomy, the shape and size of your breasts can have an extreme impact on your self-confidence.
- Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Richard Sackelariou, has experience helping women choose the right size, type and style of breast implants. He can help recommend your options for consideration for your body shape and breast enhancement needs.
- There are also several types of breast augmentation approaches to discuss, including under-breast incisions or armpit incisions for Asian Breast Augmentation to avoid keloid scarring in more pigmented skin types.
Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
A consultation with Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr. Richard Sackelariou is your first step when considering breast enlargement.
During a no-obligation consultation with Dr Sackelariou, discuss your goals and expectations. However always keep in mind the desired result is an improvement, not perfection.
Your first consultation with Dr Richard Sackelariou will take around an hour to ensure you have all the information to make an informed decision.
- While many patients come to their consultation after researching online or speaking to other surgeons, this information might not always be specifically relevant to them.
- Further, each patient has individual characteristics that demand an individual approach – always be wary of advice that suggests everyone can benefit from the same operation.
Once you have decided to go ahead with breast augmentation using implants, a second, very important pre-surgery consultation is needed and will also take up to an hour of time.
At this appointment, you will be making the most important choices for your breast surgery, with the expert help of Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Richard Sackelariou – to help choose the right breast implant and surgical approach for your breast augmentation surgery.
The 7 choices you will need to make about your breast implants are:
- Saline or cohesive silicone gel-filled implants
- Smooth implants or textured surface
- Round or teardrop-shaped implants
- Brand of implant (Motiva? Mentor?)
- Placement of the implants: either in front or behind the pectoral muscle
- How the implant is placed: under the breast, through the armpit or around the areola
- Size, volume, projection, height and width of the implant
Frequently Asked Questions
Choice of implant placement
The best placement for breast implants depends on the shape and size of your breasts, breast tissue cover in the upper pole and the amount of sagging as well as your preference. Typically they are placed either partly under the chest muscle or under the breast tissue. Either method of placement can produce excellent results—the ideal placement for your treatment will be discussed with you and determined at the time of your consultation.
Choice of approach
Three different incisions exist for breast augmentation:
- Transaxillary Armpit Incisions for Asian Surgery
The first incision (inframammary) is in the inframammary fold under the breast. The second (transaxillary) is in the armpit and the third (periareolar) is through the nipple. All three approaches can achieve excellent results.
In general, the inframammary incision is the most commonly used as it is the quickest and most straightforward. Discussion at the time of consultation will determine the most appropriate approach for you.
Scars are an unavoidable result of the incisions required to place breast implants, but they generally are small and can be placed inconspicuously.
Do I need to stay in hospital?
Generally, the surgery is carried out as a day surgery under general anaesthesia. The operation takes between 90-120 minutes depending on which approach is taken. Drains are not used, the wounds are closed with dissolving sutures and tape, and your breasts are strapped in position and secured with a sports bra and binder. Intravenous antibiotics are given during the procedure, and you should be able to go home a few hours after surgery.
There will be some discomfort as a result of your breast tissues stretching, however this mostly resolves within two or three days and can be controlled with simple medication like Panadeine.
Are there complications?
Breast augmentation has a low incidence of complications. When you have your consultation with Dr Richard Sackelariou he will discuss this with you and you can ask any questions you have about the procedure.
Some of the post-operative complications can include bleeding or infection. These problems occur rarely, however in the unlikely event either one occurs it may require a second operation, or even temporary removal of your implant. Implants are a medical device, so it is possible they might fail; and while this is uncommon, it would necessitate implant replacement surgery.
Only a small number of patients develop a firm layer of scar tissue around the implant which might make the breast hard to the touch or even tender. This is known as “capsular contracture” and might cause the breast contour to be asymmetrical and require secondary procedures for improvement.
Nipple sensation might be increased or decreased by the procedure. More often than not this is temporary; on occasion this change in sensation is permanent. Patients are usually able to breast-feed following breast augmentation.
If only standard mammography scans are taken breast implants will interfere with the results. If you have breast implants it is important you inform your radiologist of your implants so the right views can be taken.
Despite the limitations, approximately three million women are estimated to have undergone breast enlargement surgery. The overwhelming majority is very happy with their results.
How important are psychological factors in relation to this procedure?
Your emotional stability is an important factor to be considered before any aesthetic surgery is performed. A “new body” will not guarantee a new life or an end to all personal problems. Your mental attitude towards the treatment will contribute to a successful outcome, and while breast augmentation can improve your appearance: the rest is entirely up to you.
Before and Afters
Next Steps to a Consultation
If you have questions or concerns about breast augmentation, it is important to discuss them with your surgeon, ideally during your first consultation before you proceed towards having breast surgery.
Want a top Specialist Plastic Surgeon to help you decide how to progress through your breast augmentation surgery, and get recommendations for size, type, placement and incision approach for your breast implant options?
About Dr Richard Sackelariou Plastic Surgeon
Dr Richard Sackelariou MBBS FRACS(Plas) is a Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Melbourne, Victoria and Sydney, Australia.
He is a highly sought-after Plastic Surgeon for precision procedures like nose reshaping, tummy tucks, breast surgery including transaxillary incision methods, implant removal/replacement and Breast Lift procedures,
He is particularly known for his signature surgeries – neck lift, facelift and eyelid rejuvenation procedures. He also performs expert cosmetic injections for facial rejuvenation.
Patient’s love his caring manner, his dedication to excellence and his extensive expertise in surgical planning for a natural-looking, harmonious result.
Next Steps – Book a Consultation with Dr Sackelariou
If you are considering reconstructive plastic or cosmetic surgery then Dr Richard is the specialist plastic surgeon for you. Dr Sackelariou can assist you in achieving your desired image, helping restore you to a more youthful or confident self.
HOW TO BOOK YOUR INITIAL CONSULTATION
- A Referral from your GP or from your specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a cosmetic consultation without a GP Referral although no Medicare rebates are claimable without one.
- You can schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Specialist Surgeon by paying the $300 consult fee in advance.
- Email us below or Call to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR SURGEON CONSULTATION
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
WANT MORE INFORMATION BEFORE SCHEDULING YOUR SURGEON CONSULTATION?
- Read the Comprehensive Guide about your specific procedure or plans
- Find out about paying for your surgery – Prices, Payment plans and more