Breast Augmentation Surgery in Melbourne and Sydney
A Breast Augmentation also known as Breast Enlargement Surgery or ‘boob job’ is a cosmetic surgery procedure to enhance your breasts. It aims to increase the size of your breasts to improve your breast volume or breast projection. It can be used to correct slight sagging of the breasts for selected patients. However, you may need a breast lift depending on the degree of sagging (ptosis) and excess skin.
Breast Augmentation increases the size and firmness of your breast area. This procedure can also recreate the breast after mastectomy.
For many women, attractive breasts or cleavage are an important part of their self-image. Larger or more shapely breasts can sometimes increase a person’s confidence or improve their options for swimwear and other clothing.
Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation using Breast Implants?
For Naturally Small Breasts
- If you feel your breasts are small, underdeveloped or out of proportion, you may want Breast Augmentation.
- Your breasts may have good tissue elasticity but lack the desired volume, size, shape or projection.
- Breasts can be augmented in size, shape, projection and – to a smaller extent – position; otherwise, you may require a breast lift procedure as well as breast implants.
For Naturally Uneven Breasts
- Breast Enlargement is also useful if your breasts are unequal in size; you may feel that your frame is unbalanced, and you may lack confidence in your appearance.
- Breast Augmentation uses implants to increase the size and improve the shape of the breasts.
- Read our page on Breast Asymmetry here
For Post-pregnancy Breast Concerns
- Some women also experience volume loss after pregnancy and/or breastfeeding.
- Their breasts may look empty or ptotic (sagging or droopy looking).
- Many women find their breasts have sagged, leading to an unfeminine feeling or a prematurely aged chest area.
- However, you must have finished breastfeeding and child-rearing, ideally, before undertaking a Breast Enlargement or Breast Augmentation with Breast Lift procedures.
For Ageing, Sagging Breasts
- The natural ageing process, genetics and weight fluctuations cause sagging of the breast skin and tissue.
- Most patients in this category also benefit from a combination procedure of breast augmentation and breast lift.
For Breast Reconstructive Surgery
- Further for patients who have undergone a mastectomy, losing one or both breasts can be an extremely traumatic experience.
- Breast Augmentation recreates the breast after mastectomy surgery to help patients regain their natural figure and return their feminine feel and confidence.
Benefits of Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
A Shapelier Figure
- Many patients seek out breast augmentation when they have naturally smaller breasts, to give themselves a more feminine silhouette.
- Further, Breast Augmentation can give patients back their confidence as well as creating a flattering shape for your body.
A Natural Look
- Most patients seek a more natural look to their breast enlargement to avoid the fake look of so many poorly done Breast Enlargements.
- Your surgeon places the implant under the pectoral muscle can help create a more natural shape.
- For many patients, natural asymmetry of their breasts can be frustrating and embarrassing, as well as causing painful back and neck issues.
- Using different breast implant shapes and sizes can help correct this issue and give you back your confidence.
- Whether you have naturally small breasts, naturally asymmetrical breasts, post-pregnancy breast issues, ageing breasts or you have recently had a mastectomy, the shape and size of your breasts can have an extreme impact on your self-confidence.
- Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Richard Sackelariou, has experience helping women choose the right size, type and style of breast implants. He can help recommend your options for consideration for your body shape and breast enhancement needs.
- There are also several types of breast augmentation approaches to discuss, including under-breast incisions or armpit incisions for Asian Breast Augmentation to avoid keloid scarring in more pigmented skin types.
Breast Augmentation Before and After Photos
Download the Breast Augmentation Surgery guide
About the Breast Augmentation Procedure – How is it Performed?
Dr Sackelariou places the implant beneath the breast tissues through under-breast incisions or an armpit incision (Transauxillary Incision).
The 7 choices you will need to make about your breast implants are:
- Saline or cohesive silicone gel-filled implants
- Smooth implants or textured surface
- Round or teardrop-shaped implants
- Brand of implant (Motiva? Mentor?)
- Placement of the implants: either in front or behind the pectoral muscle
- How the implant is placed: under the breast, through the armpit or around the areola
- Size, volume, projection, height and width of the implant
Sizes for Breast Implants: breast implants vary in size according to the wishes and proportions of the patient.
Small implants range from 250cc to over 600cc. Read more about your options for larger breast augmentation surgery – click here.
- The breast implant itself contains a “jacket” and “filler” within the jacket or outer shell
- The Jacket: silicone in its more solid form is used to create the implant’s jacket. This jacket maintains the volume of the filler.
- The Filler: we no longer use the old liquid silicone but high quality, cohesive silicone gel.
- Modern Fillers: a cohesive silicone gel known as “Turkish Delight” due to its consistency.
- Saline is still available but is rarely used.
- Silicone gel largely replaces saline as it is less problematic and far more natural feeling. The implant shape may be round or teardrop.
- Further, round implants may be a better option with fewer risks of rotation and revision surgery. Check with your Surgeon for details on which implant is going to be a good choice for your breast augmentation procedure.
Choice of implant placement
The best placement for breast implants depends on the shape and size of your breasts, breast tissue cover in the upper pole and the amount of sagging as well as your preference. Typically they are placed either partly under the chest muscle or under the breast tissue. Either method of placement can produce excellent results—the ideal placement for your treatment will be discussed with you and determined at the time of your consultation.
Choice of breast incision site
There are 3 different incision sites for breast augmentation:
- Transaxillary Armpit Incisions for Asian Surgery
The first incision (inframammary) is in the inframammary fold under the breast. The second (transaxillary) is in the armpit and the third (periareolar) is through the nipple. All three approaches can achieve excellent results.
In general, the inframammary incision is the most commonly used as it is the quickest and most straightforward. Discussion at the time of consultation will determine the most appropriate approach for you.
Scars are an unavoidable result of the incisions required to place breast implants, but they generally are small and can be placed inconspicuously.
Do I need to stay in Hospital?
Generally, the surgery is carried out as a day surgery under general anaesthesia. The operation takes between 90-120 minutes depending on which approach is taken. Drains are not used, the wounds are closed with dissolving sutures and tape, and your breasts are strapped in position and secured with a sports bra and binder. Intravenous antibiotics are given during the procedure, and you should be able to go home a few hours after surgery.
There will be some discomfort as a result of your breast tissues stretching, however this mostly resolves within two or three days and can be controlled with simple medication like Panadeine.
Watch the Animated Breast Augmentation Surgery Video
Recovery After Breast Augmentation
Most patients spend 1-2 weeks initially recovering before graduating to modified activities or easy exercise. This does not include heavy lifting or competitive sports.
Many patients can return to work, depending on their occupation, within a few weeks. This is a general recovery outline, though, and differs from patient to patient. It is best to discuss your specific recovery outline, based on your health and lifestyle, during your consultation.
How can Scars be Minimised after Surgery?
- All surgery leaves scars, including plastic surgery procedures like breast augmentation. However experienced plastic surgeons like Dr Sackelariou are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time.
- Dr Sackelariou’s Team also conducts follow-up treatments using Lasers and Healite II to minimise your scars, with most scars being barely visible after 12 months
For better longer-term results after breast augmentation surgery avoid smoking and make sure you wear a good bra
How Much is Breast Augmentation – Costs And Prices
The cost of breast augmentation surgery can vary across Melbourne, Sydney and Australia. It depends entirely on the surgeon you choose, where you have your operation, the quality of your breast implant and time in theatre.
Often websites that post the estimated cost of a breast augmentation surgery do NOT include all the related and necessary expenses. As a result, you may end up paying more than you expected.
Dr Sackelariou never recommends shopping for low-cost surgery as it is unlikely that an experienced FRACS specialist plastic surgeon will be performing the procedure. It is important to do your research before deciding on a surgeon for your chosen procedure. Further, revision surgery is costly and is not guaranteed to fix the issue you experienced with your initial surgery if you choose to explore cheaper surgical options.
It is always important to pursue plastic surgery based on skill, not cost.
Visit The Prices for Surgery for more information.and Breast Augmentation Payment Plan Options
Planning Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
A consultation with Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr. Richard Sackelariou is your first step when considering breast enlargement.
During a no-obligation consultation with Dr Sackelariou, discuss your goals and expectations. However always keep in mind the desired result is an improvement, not perfection.
Your first consultation with Dr Richard Sackelariou will take around an hour to ensure you have all the information to make an informed decision.
- While many patients come to their consultation after researching online or speaking to other surgeons, this information might not always be specifically relevant to them.
- Further, each patient has individual characteristics that demand an individual approach – always be wary of advice that suggests everyone can benefit from the same operation.
Once you have decided to go ahead with breast augmentation using implants, a second, very important pre-surgery consultation is needed and will also take up to an hour of time.
At this appointment, you will be making the most important choices for your breast surgery, with the expert help of Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Richard Sackelariou – to help choose the right breast implant and surgical approach for your breast augmentation surgery.
Next Steps to a Consultation
If you have questions or concerns about breast augmentation, it is important to discuss them with your surgeon, ideally during your first consultation before you proceed towards having breast surgery.
Want a top Specialist Plastic Surgeon to help you decide how to progress through your breast augmentation surgery, and get recommendations for size, type, placement and incision approach for your breast implant options?
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQS for Breast Augmentation Surgery
Will Breast Surgery Affect Breastfeeding Later in Life?
- The answer to this question depends on what type of breast surgery you choose. For safety and best results, it is often best to avoid incisions around the nipple-areola complex, as well as breast implant placement above the muscle.
- We recommend placing breast implants be below the muscle and incisions made under the breast. This allows for a lower chance of nipple sensation loss and best results if you are planning on breastfeeding children later in life.
- It is important to remember that many women are unable to breastfeed, regardless of whether they have undergone a breast augmentation procedure or not. However, breast augmentation may affect your ability to breastfeed, especially if you decide to have an incision around the nipple.
- It is also possible that you may experience a slight loss of nipple sensation, however, these side effects are rare when using “under the muscle” implants.
What is the Minimum Age for Breast Implants?
- The minimum age for breast augmentation surgery in Australia is 18 years old. The majority of women who seek out this surgery fall in the age range of 20 to 50 years old, with the most popular age group being 22 to 38.
Risks and complications of Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation has a low incidence of complications. When you have your consultation with Dr Richard Sackelariou he will discuss this with you and you can ask any questions you have about the procedure.
Some of the post-operative complications can include bleeding or infection. These problems occur rarely, however in the unlikely event either one occurs it may require a second operation, or even temporary removal of your implant. Implants are a medical device, so it is possible they might fail; and while this is uncommon, it would necessitate implant replacement surgery.
Only a small number of patients develop a firm layer of scar tissue around the implant which might make the breast hard to the touch or even tender. This is known as “capsular contracture” and might cause the breast contour to be asymmetrical and require secondary procedures for improvement.
Nipple sensation might be increased or decreased by the procedure. More often than not this is temporary; on occasion this change in sensation is permanent. Patients are usually able to breast-feed following breast augmentation.
Does Breast Augmentation affect Breast Screening?
If only standard mammography scans are taken breast implants will interfere with the results. If you have breast implants it is important you inform your radiologist of your implants so the right views can be taken.
Despite the limitations, approximately three million women are estimated to have undergone breast enlargement surgery. The overwhelming majority is very happy with their results.
How important are psychological factors in relation to this procedure?
Your emotional stability is an important factor to be considered before any aesthetic surgery is performed. A “new body” will not guarantee a new life or an end to all personal problems. Your mental attitude towards the treatment will contribute to a successful outcome, and while breast augmentation can improve your appearance: the rest is entirely up to you.